Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Colonel's famous Kentucky Fried Chicken!




My inbox is flooded with recipes.  The daily cooking emails have finally surpassed the ones about increasing the size of my manhood.  I think that's a good thing.  

Yesterday I received a copycat recipe for the great Colonel Sander's famous Kentucky Fried Chicken.  I thought why not.  If that ODB could spend years frying up his chicken with a secret 11 herb and spice recipe then I could spend one night giving it my best shot to copy the $#it out of it.  

Normally I try to blog about easy recipes with minimal ingredients which require only the basic kitchen utensils to prepare.  I hope this encourages the cooking-impaired to roll up your sleeves, put on that apron thats been hanging up in the pantry since your easy bake oven days, and give cooking a try.  

( The exact mixture of spices it takes to make a piece of chicken taste like Funions )

But this one is a little different. I used 13 herbs and spices for this recipe.  If you had to buy all of these it would set you back about $40 - $50.  Plus you'd still need the chicken, vegetable oil, milk and flour.  In that case you should probably just give up and drive through any one of the Colonel's fine eating establishments conveniently located all across this great land of ours.  

If you want to give it a shot anyway then congratulations because it's easy and delicious.  

( Why isn't the phrase "chicken pile" a thing?  What the hell did dogs ever do? )


I used 4 chicken breasts and 12 drumsticks.  I trimmed most of the skin off the chicken and left the breasts on the bone. 



In a large tupperware container I mixed 3 cups of flour with all of the measurements below plus 2 tsp each of paprika and chili powder.

  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
  • 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon onion salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon mixed spice(ground)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves


In a smaller container, I whisked two eggs with a couple of cups of 2% milk.




Then I poured most of a 32 oz container of vegetable oil into a large pot on high heat.  

I washed the chicken off, dredged each piece in the flour mixture, then submerged it in the egg/milk mixture, then back into the flour.  

Then into the oil until golden brown.




For crispier chicken you could put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-30 minutes, but you'd need to put it on a rack in a roasting pan so the juices/excess oil can drip below.  If you use baking pans like I did the juices will run out of the chicken and do the opposite.  Luckily I figured that out in time and averted a soggy chicken disaster the likes of which this world has never seen.  



And thats it.  Let it cool for a few minutes or you'll be sorry you ever heated that grease to boiling temperatures.  

( Chicken and beer...a Boston Red Sox recipe for success!  )

I made some mashed potatoes and biscuits to go with…but I'll soon be blogging about why you shouldn't eat those carbs…just stick with the chicken to get skinnier…believe it or not! 

Enjoy....but with a WARNING.  This chicken is stupid delicious.  Don't pound your intestines into submission with copious amounts of yardbird. Have a little self control.  



No comments:

Post a Comment