Wednesday, September 26, 2012

West African Chicken Stew


So after a brief hiatus...I'm out of the apartment and into my new home...with some upgraded gear...and rocketing back into the blogosphere with .... West African Chicken Stew.  My analytics tell me that no one from Africa is actually looking at my blog...but then again they probably don't have computers
over there.



So who wants AIDS?  Well go somewhere else...because this stew won't give you any.  No Malaria neither.  Here's what you'll need:

2 lbs of chicken...I used a combination of boneless skinless breasts and thighs
1 onion
1 sweet potato
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 tbs of tomato paste
1 can of white beans
1 can of corn
1/4 cup of peanut butter
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ginger
1-2 tbs oil




Wash and cut up your chicken however you'd like.  I removed most of the skin and fat from the thighs but left a little for flavor.

Get the chicken into a pan with the oil over medium heat and let it fry until it is no longer pink.

While that's going, check your yard for a supply drop from UNICEF containing your veggies.  Not there? Ok, well thats pretty much just like Africa too.  Make sure there are no warlords on your property stealing your supplies.


Peel and cube the sweet potato.  I also used a couple of yukon gold potatoes.  I peeled and minced the ginger...it stayed pretty crunchy in the final product...I'd recommend smashing it into more of a paste if you are using fresh.  





Then peel and chop your onion and garlic.     


Open your canned veggies with a sharp rock or stick.  Pour them into your big soup pot and add the rest of the veggies, seasonings, and the peanut butter.


Put the chicken in and bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer for about 30-45 minutes.  Voila.  Your stew is done.  Share it with your tribe.  Refrigerate or freeze the leftovers.






No comments:

Post a Comment